Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Survival In the College Arena

As an adult educator, I feel that it is my charter to ensure that the student gets the best product for their dollar! I look at is a business, if people do not like my product, I potentially could go out of business. So it is important that the instructor brings their A game. It is my opinion that if one student fails and everyone else does fine, you can argue that, this student didn't try. However, if the majority of the class fails......it is you that is the problem. In the last few weeks, we have learned a few theories and that is very interesting. All this being said, we need to make accomodations, and even go further than the law requires and make sure that everyone that wants to learn is able to. We need to take some time and try to appreciate how each person in our class learns. Now some may say this is too much hand holding or what have ya, but in the end our goal is to make a contribution to society. So I guess the point of this all is, take a day to learn your students to help the be successful.

-Sean

5 comments:

  1. Bravo! Bravo! I am your personal cheerleader! I am like a toddler learning to walk... and I need some one to hold my hand! I think that is why I felt so strongly about "teacher-centered" learning. But, after reviewing the different learning styles, I found out that it's just my learning style preference. I need step by step instructions, just to get familiar with the process, then I let go of the hand and strike out on my own, with a bit more confidence! Sean, you brought your A Game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Sean, how do you do this?? If you are teaching a room full of college students, what do you do to assess their learning styles or get to know them in order to ensure their success? Also, how do you handle it when THEY are not putting forth the work and now it really isn't the instructor?? I am curious as to what you do? Thanks for this, I knew that your posts would be good. Danel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with your statement: "We need to take some time and try to appreciate how each person in our class learns". I currently work with elementary students and feel that I have an advantage, as I not only get to experience students in the library, but I can also reference teachers as needed for follow up on students. However, I'm still unsure how I will effectively accomplish this task with adult learners. I do, indeed, want to make a "contribution", but am unsure that I will fully execute that goal with adults. How do you suggest I could effectively take some time and try to appreciate how each person learns while still accomplishing growth for each student during the class?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean - Danel asks some very good questions - ones we all should think about.
    I want to comment or question your statement, "All this being said, we need to make accomodations, and even go further than the law requires and make sure that everyone that wants to learn is able to."
    This, to me is getting into the field of ADA and offering accomodations based on a disability - I am not sure what "law" you are referring to. I am going to post a really good news letter in the course documents about this - if you are indeed referring to ADA... and if you are not, well, it is still good information. I am not sure if we go "above and beyond" we are necessarily doing any more to help - I think we need to get to know our learners like you have mentioned, although I am still processing how I feel about your other statements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that some personal attention can benefit, but too much personal attention could harm the rest of the students in the class by holding them up when they could be learning.

    A good educator knows exactly where that line is and is careful not to cross it. A challenge that we all face, or will face some time in the future.

    Bryan D.

    ReplyDelete